OUR SUSTAINABLE APPROACH
It's no secret that the screen printing industry isn't particularly kind to the planet. Over many years the race to the bottom to provide the cheapest prices and fastest turnaround has meant that most print shops and factories neglect the environmental impact this is having across the world.
When we started Dark Peak Press we knew we wanted to do things differently and find new approaches towards achieving sustainability for the planet and our business. This perspective is embedded in our day to day and it's a constant quest for responsibility and improvement.
Here are some of the things we have implemented since we formed the company:
- Our studio is powered by Ecotricity, Britain's greenest energy company.
- We use only water-based inks and have recently moved to using, almost exclusively, Permaset inks which are the only Soil Association approved inks in the business. Most screen printers use plastisol inks which, you guessed it, are made from plastic particles.
- We don't use any harmful chemicals in our clean-up, sourcing non-toxic and biodegradable solutions from reputable suppliers.
- The garments we choose for our own brand and designs are made from 100% organic cotton, are certified Fair Wear and PETA vegan approved. We also encourage our customers towards using these products whenever possible.
- With every order placed we plant a tree. We have partnered up with Ecologi to plant a tree for every order placed at our online shop. It’s now common knowledge that one of the best tools to tackle the climate crisis and keep our temperatures from rising above 1.5C is to plant trees. They are also crucial to preventing ecological collapse. Ecologi's planting partner The Eden Reforestation Projects plant millions of trees around the world each month. Ecologi are currently supporting their incredible work in Madagascar.
- We use biodegradable paper tape to seal our boxes for shipping.
- Orders shipped from our online shop are currently packaged in recycled plastic mailers and in the near future we will upgrade to grass paper, compostable mailing bags.
- Recycling and reusing is a big focus. We store many things that would normally be discarded in order to use them for test prints and cleaning.
There is always more we can do and we constantly assess our methods looking for eco-friendly improvements and solutions. We hope this ethical and thoughtful approach will be implemented by more screen printers going forward as the concern for the climate and our planet becomes even more essential than it already is.